Letters From the Teefer

There use to be a time when apathy did not abound.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a mom and home educator of four children.

Friday, August 15, 2008

No Cute Picture

I'm having to make a parental decision that breaks my heart. My daughter is a Brownie; she loves it. In the past I've had only mild reservations about it. The Girl Scout website and other materials often have ' Girl Power', 'Girls Rule', and of course shopping slogans for the Girl Scout store. I know certain councils have had entanglements with inappropriate organizations, but not our council. I know that the cookie money might overfund the top leadership depending on your point of view. I also dislike having my daughter sell cookies with ingredients I know are harmful to an already 'large' population. These were just my past reservations that I was willing to put up with and discuss with my daughter.

With the release of the new Journeys book this past week that the Girl Scouts will now have to follow, we will likely have to jump ship. My family hasn't changed, but the Girl Scout direction has. The line has been crossed. Unfortunately, the new Girl Scout direction seems more self-serving and agenda-oriented.

We are attending a meeting for the American Heritage Girls with other former Brownies and Girl Scouts next week. I think it will go well, but I always hate these splits.

I'd rather post a cute picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home