Letters From the Teefer

There use to be a time when apathy did not abound.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a mom and home educator of four children.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Just Can't Do It

I can't make the break. Despite what the national organization is doing and despite the council I recieved by two people whos advice I value, I've got to keep my kiddo with her Brownies. The mamas that run this troop are too cool to not be able to work with and Jessica's not being a part of it would just be wrong. This is doable. It is certainly is not the fault of our local leaders or the girls. If I do my parenting right, Jessica may never even experience any of what this fuss is about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

So did you go to the meeting?

I'm sure that the issues can be ah, skirted around. And that it'll be a teaching moment for all of you, with everyone being stronger for it.

How does hubby feel about this?

August 20, 2008 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What changed your mind?

August 20, 2008 10:04 PM  
Blogger Tiffane said...

A number of reasons...

1) Analogy - Education agencies are to classrooms what the umbrella organization of Girl Scouts is to our troop in this case. Good intentions (you hope), but... well you know what I am talking about.

2) Our own troop is inclusive, and unless it is made known to me otherwise, it wouldn't get preachy on matters of belief.

3) We don't want to leave.

4) I was able to bring my husband on board and marital disharmony was averted. (What did I say? I ought to write it here.)

5) I was never thrilled about the cookie sales, but it was never a reason to leave before the Journeys release. Funding the people you never meet - the high aboves - was the big problem for my family when this whole Journeys mess came about. (We are the same family that avoids Made in China products if there is an alternative.) So, how did I reason this one away?

I don't think I did a very good job, but I am letting it stick. Basically the good outweighs the bad - shades of gray. ie. I am still paying taxes to my country and love it despite some matters my country is supporting. I certainly don't plan on leaving. lol

6) My daughter and I will write a letter to the unseen.

August 20, 2008 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home