Letters From the Teefer

There use to be a time when apathy did not abound.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a mom and home educator of four children.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Happened to the "Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?"

http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/cpsia.HTML

Thanks to the recent toy safety scares originating from China, we now have the new Comsumer Product Safety Improvement Act to look forward to. I'm sure corporate America is loving it, because it pretty much rids our society of small businesses that make toys for a living. Small businesses that live here in the USA! As of Februay 10, 2009 friends can no longer make and sell toys for children because they cannot afford the testing to make sure the toys are safe. There is a lot of confusion just how far this Act will go. Will this affect clothing? Will this affect the resale of toys or clothing? Will this affect collectible items that might be construed as a toy?

This is just crazy. I am clueless when it comes to the law, but ridiculous is pretty easy for me to detect. I went recently to a Natural Foods store and asked if they would be interested in selling a unique Valentines product my kids and I were going to make. The store representative said he would love to, but they had already tried to sell a product from a local resident recently. The Friendswood police Department made them remove it off the shelves. I really don't know what laws came into play there. Apparently the kids and I can still try selling at a farmers market. Thankfully we aren't making toys.

Would it be stretching it to say that our laws are made such that the people that are already in power will stay in power? Shouldn't "Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness" include trying to make a living and being free from excessively burdensome laws?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Write to your Senator!!

January 14, 2009 8:20 PM  
Blogger Tiffane said...

There is a lot of confusion on the web as to the scope of this new law. I'd like to write a letter when I have a better idea of the correct details. I don't want to write a letter based on information that is a little or way off. I think the thing that ticks me off the most is that this law was spawned due to harmful products coming from China.

I'm pretty certain resale items in second hand stores and online will be affected. I've already heard of second hand stores dumping their toy inventories. They are afraid and don't currently have the resources to verify their compliance with this new law. As for small time toy makers, I'm not sure to what degree they will be affected.

January 15, 2009 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home