Letters From the Teefer

There use to be a time when apathy did not abound.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a mom and home educator of four children.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Book and Reflection

I've started reading a new book titled Weapons of Mass Instruction by John Taylor Gatto. A much better read than his Underground History of American Education book. This is by the same author that wrote and coined the term Dumbing Us Down.

There are numerous points to comment on. I'll mention some. (I don't want to type much, and I still need to finish the book.) I am very interested in what Gatto has called an open source education. It is an education where the child learns by feedback/trial-and-error through apprenticeship and experiences. Gatto believes genius is as common as dirt, but our Prussian-derived schools serve to suppress it. We can all be producers, but it is better for corporations if we are consumers due to fear of overproduction. Schools lock up the energy that once made this great nation. Not long ago 13 was mature, and the term 'adolesence' didn't exist until the 20th century. This label served to extend childhood longer. It goes on and on and on. He cites sources along the way. I love reading about all the successful businessmen/politicians that didn't finish elementary, high school, or college. There are a lot of them. They learned through an open source education and not a bunch of unconnected dots that the schools offer.

(Here is where I sensored my reflections on my own educational experiences. I deleted quite a bit, but typing it was helpful.)

I have run out of time. Hopefully this made sense. I haven't finished the book yet, but even my two year-old won't stop me.

I give the book two thumbs up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home