Letters From the Teefer

There use to be a time when apathy did not abound.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a mom and home educator of four children.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Better Now

Whew! It is over. I just survived a week of kid illness. I can now escape my cabin fever, go on with life, and be a little more compassionate to other moms with sick children.

My youngest only 2 was the most severely afflicted being sick for 6 days with a nasty stomach bug. At 2 a child is not able to alert you in time to let you know she needs the barf bucket. This is rather unfortunate as I spent an hour and a half in the pediatricians waiting room Wednesday wearing barf all over me. Next time I'll know to bring a change of clothes for me too. BTW - if your kid has a nasty bug, don't bother with the pediatrician unless the child needs an IV b/c of dehydration. The $30 copay, the child screaming in pain that it wants to go home, and the barf you wear all over you for the long wait isn't worth it. I knew better, but I was really hoping for some pain relief for the childs ongoing stomach cramping - no help there for us.

I also ran out of laundry detergent prematurely due to all the extra sick laundry and getting to the store for refills on Gatorade and sick child food was difficult. My husband isn't around much as he has final exams, presentations, and reports coming up. At least he had the sense to spend some time with his kids he hardly sees one Thursday night rather than go for drinks and appetizers with his law class after class. That would not have gone over well this week. I would have responded with biowarfare.

I have omitted a lot of gory details. I'm sure the moms reading this post are well aware of just how disgusting these illnesses can be. Children just do not know how to handle - or should I say not handle - barf and other excrements. For those that don't understand, go kiss your mom that she let you live. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home